No, I'd never seen. I'm not kidding. I've never seen Citizen Kane . That may be the kind of confession that is not when we say a film buff, a big word which means we've seen all the classics of the 7th art. A gap that some might consider shameful. Citizen Kane, the film generally regarded as the greatest of all. Citizen Kane, including François Truffaut said that it "summarizes all existing films and prefigures all others." Well I, David T., 29 years, cinephile, cinémaniaque , drive-you-want, I'd never seen.
What is this due? A lack of desire to see it? Certainly not. For years I dreamed of seeing. When I started to get serious film buff, a few years ago, my mother gave me the film in VHS Orson Welles (in VOST, anyway). But I've never looked. The laziness of the youth first, then the neglect of the VHS when DVD was first introduced. The years passed, I still saw more films, but no Citizen Kane. Of course over time I developed a fad again, deciding to focus on the room to discover all the classic films that I've never seen. When we discover masterpieces such as Rio Bravo Dr. Strangelove or on the big screen, then simply difficult to find the others on his TV.
So I specifically avoided Citizen Kane on TV and DVD, knowing that this was the kind of movie it is not really difficult to see in a movie theater, either in cinemas or the Latin Quarter at the Cinematheque. And then suddenly, last week I was watching the program series "The Making of Time" which takes place in time Images of the Forum when the title "Citizen Kane" was announced two days later, one evening when I ' were available. "Come on, it might be time that I see." Thus I found myself, finally, after years of waiting, excitedly, wedged into my seat, waiting for the curtain rises on "the greatest film in the history of cinema."
is always in such moments that one is disappointed. Waiting too long preceded view more qu'élogieux are misleading. It was not the case with Citizen Kane. Of course this is not the greatest of all films that jumped in my face. Difficult to confirm such a general consensus for a film that you just saw. But it is a great movie I saw, and that is what I expected. A film with a virtuoso sense. A film that needed no limit to the audacity, whether narrative with his story broke, but totally under control, or visual, with staging a glittering modernity. I will not write a review of Citizen Kane here, right now, it would not much interest. Others have already done before me, in so many forms, for so many years. That is not the purpose of this post. I just write the deep admiration that assaulted me for the film of Orson Welles' after all these years I waited patiently to see him. I just write my admiration for this young man of 25 years what was Welles At the time, able to provide such a film at the cinema so soon, so soon.
course Citizen Kane is not the last classic that was missing from my table. I can even say that this is far from true. I still have so many movies to see, so many decades and so many different nationalities. So many gaps. I grew up falling in love with the movie of my era. I grew up going to see these films made by my contemporaries. In recent years, however, I feel that I must leave more room in my life as a film buff at all these films I've ever seen and patiently waiting for me. I caught up with a cinematic delight that makes me already is impatient for the next one. This weekend, I was already engulfed in the blue room of the Film Library to find Point Blank - Point of No Return by John Boorman , until next week that will see emerged from the law of silence Hitchcock and The Lady from Shanghai Orson Welles (really ...). It is good to live in Paris and be able to see this.
0 comments:
Post a Comment