A little more than 200 new releases in theaters. Thirty films in festivals that are still waiting to be released in France (or not). Two dozen occasions discoveries journals or on the big screen. In 2010, I asked about 270 times my butt in a movie theater. I will have seen films from France, Korea, USA, Great Britain, Japan, Italy, China, Spain, Iran, Vietnam, Australia, Slovenia, Argentina, Israel, Philippines, Denmark, South Africa , Uruguay, Bulgaria, Mexico, India, Canada, Switzerland, Malaysia, Serbia, Chad, Belgium, Chile, Russia, Austria, Ukraine, Thailand and Sweden. As I did for movies 2008 and 2009 , here is the time came to write what are the films that knocked me most, moved, turned upside down, exploded. My favorite movies of 2010, according to the schedule of theatrical releases in France (with one exception ...).
1. Breathless
Directed by Yang Joon-Ik
I saw twice in theaters my favorite movie of 2010 but well before its release in 2009. A first in Paris Cinema, one second Festival Franco-Korean film. And despite the distance in time, his presence at the top of my rankings came naturally. Perhaps because Breathless is one of those films you do not see coming, a first film broke. Maybe because behind the hardness of the characters described, an explosion of bitterness and emotion hides. Perhaps because the sake of realism and vivid portrait of Korean society does not prevent an astonishing poetic grace to browse Breathless.
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Have they gone too far with Inception? The incredible buzz, the 5 million entries, DiCaprio, the spinning top ... Nolan's new film has quite a clean sweep of the attention this year moviegoer, and undoubtedly some accused him of being overestimated. Certainly not me. I got carried away by the imagination of Nolan. I let the subconscious embark with them. I let the music of Hans Zimmer crush me worry. I left the Raiders of the mind sink into danger. I let Christopher Nolan to play with my nerves and my feelings dazzle moviegoers .
Directed by Xavier Dolan
Some films are punched, other exciting adventures ... And then there are moments suspended. Film elegant waltzes, lively, fascinating. The second film of the young Xavier Dolan is these films. A delicate work where freedom of your mixes with a plastic beauty unmatched years without (or almost). For this film, Dolan confirms all the good that we had thought of him with I killed my mother and is in line with filmmakers aesthetes whose spearhead was at a time Wong Kar Wai. Until the Chinese back in force, at one time or another, the young Quebecois is a name. Already.
Directed by Tom Ford Tom Ford
director, I thought very little. Yet, as Dolan and his imaginary love, Ford is proving a talented filmmaker. An eye which coexist on the screen beauty and sadness. A single man al'inquiétude feverish great films, this bitterness wrenching dramas that are memorable. A single man has above all a great character at its center, and a great actor to give him life . It seems that Colin Firth will win the Oscar for Best Actor in a few weeks to The speech of a king . I would have already given last year for the film of Tom Ford. But better late than never.
Directed by Duncan Jones
I could not resist cheating. Usually, when I name my favorite films of the past year, I limit myself to choose among films released in France, leaving aside the films seen at festivals. Moon is not released in theaters, but it should have, and finally came out at the last moment directly to DVD. But this gem of a science fiction I discovered last year in The Strange Festival is a short film full of grandeur. One of the most beautiful reflections on the identity that a film has attempted in recent years, and a performance by the incredible actor Sam Rockwell spent too unnoticed.
Directed by David Fincher
This starts to become a habit. David Fincher sign one of the most important films of the year in each film he makes, especially with his latest films. Zodiac in 2007. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in 2009. The Social Network in 2010. On paper, a film about young people who created this giant tentacle on the web what Facebook excite anyone. On arrival, however, The Social Network is so much more than we could have imagined. Fincher uses Facebook as a pretext for a film charting his own route along a virtual society where the approximation away, where money accumulates faster without meaning, and where everything is a hundred miles an hour.
Directed by Lee Chang Dong
Each year, we may say that Korean cinema is more talent this bubble that exploded in the early 2000s, I find myself with a movie or two among my favorite local of the year. Some thought Men and Gods would have a nicer Palme d'Or Uncle Boonmee ... They are wrong. The most beautiful and deserving of palms this year returned to Lee Chang Dong. The director of the remarkable Oasis and Secret Sunshine continues its path great unknown filmmaker , posing a tender look and hard on both characters manhandled by the Korean company.
Directed by Alejandro Amenabar
This is one of the first movies I saw in 2010. The beginning of the year often hides a film that will remain, even months later, and Agora is undoubtedly that of last year. I stopped expecting much from English director, revealed in the mid-90s, including Open your eyes, but had since ceased to disappoint. Immersing himself in the 4th century Alexandria, in the power relations between religions in the jostling of the knowledge, passion and change, in the place of women in society and teacher relationships / Slave, Amenabar has signed a film remarkably modern.
Directed by Paul Greengrass
Iraq became a regular playground of American cinema. Already last year, had Locker said. In 2010, Paul Greengrass has also raised his camera to the country of Saddam, but for a much more political film, which was undoubtedly complained to arrive a little late. Certainly Green Zone should have been done earlier. But this does nothing in its cinematic qualities of pamphlet action case against the war in Iraq. The film is breathless, shocking, provocative, and the film itself as the largest that has been done on the war in Iraq. Later, but so well.
Directed by Lee Unkrich
Every year the same thing. At the end of the year, Pixar Annual ranks among the best films of the year. It sounds improbable, but true. In recent years, the animation studio sign a cinematic gem, and after Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up there, behold Toy Story 3 wins hearts. He won anyway mine , endeavoring to be not only a fun adventure and soft toys of the famous, but also and especially a good look at the passage of time, the transition to adulthood and the childhood nostalgia that sometimes exceed know. One of the great emotional moments of 2010.
Directed by Nicholas Stoller
Humor is not an art to be taken lightly. At year end, when it comes deciding what films were the best has come, we too often forget the comedies. But there is always one, two or more who deserve as much highlighting that the more serious dramas. And in 2010, no movie was more funny than Get him to the Greek . I said funny? Sorry, I meant so hilarious that I thought my laughter would bring down the room in which I saw. The spin-off from Forgetting Sarah Marshall will be a road movie may cause choking and incontinence among the most vulnerable, I am sure. If this does not scare you ...
Directed by Nicholas Winding Refn
After the excellent trilogy Pusher, the sheer Bronson Nicholas Winding Refn me deeply inflated. But it would not for the world diminished my desire to see what is announced as the ultimate film Viking. The silent warrior, however, is not a Viking film. It the most unexpected trip that cinema offered me in 2010. A trippy and mystical adventure in the footsteps of a contemplative cinema and naturalist. A cinema that is rejected or that we embrace. I embrace it fully, without hesitation.
Produced by Don Hahn
There were an incredible number of fantastic documentaries in 2010, in which politics, society and history have found a prominent place. Yet the documentary me most affected was much less powerful on paper. This was only the history of Disney animation studios between 1984 and 1994. In addition to an exciting human adventure and a fascinating look at the underside of Hollywood, the film took me back to childhood, in my memories of discovering the boy cinema. The cinema is a matter of subjectivity, and a film like Walking Sleeping Beauty is here to remind me completely.
Directed by Luca Guadagnino
Like Heartbeats and A single man, Amore was there this year to prove to me how aesthetics can grow in a movie theater. The family saga is almost a genre in itself, and one might even say that it is in many ways an Italian specialty. Amore takes yet kind at opposite abandons the heightened feelings, the characters colorful and exuberant life and moved out of the comfort zone. His film is as beautiful as it is cold, all in reserve, and yet overwhelming. It's an epic static staging stunning.
Directed by Roman Polanski
Roman Polanski is one of those filmmakers whose erratic it's hard to guess in advance whether his movie will be good or bad, as it has in the past offered two ingredients . The Ghost Writer frankly did not seem exciting, perhaps because of its subject, perhaps because of her casting two stars with cautious not always exciting, Brosnan and McGregor. Yet Polanski and his ghost writer its drifted away my doubts. Pallets in gray and ominous, Polanski signed the most exciting political thriller of the year, and offered to Brosnan and McGregor the chance to prove what they are talented actors.
Directed by Hirokazu Kore-Eda
As Breathless, I discovered Air Doll here over a year and a half . But unlike the Korean, I have not seen a second time. If this were the case, it is likely that Japanese poetic ride would have found a place higher in the annual Top. But his presence is nothing anecdotal. The Japanese filmmaker who charmed me already several times in the past signaled to me his best film, a wandering fancy, poetic and bitter. An amazing reflection on life and death embodied with naive sensuality tinged by the too rare Korean actress Bae Doo Na.
Directed by Mike Leigh
If I saw some films of this classification there are well over a year, I saw it on Mike Leigh A few days ago. I'm not a fan of English filmmaker. If I liked in the past some of his films (Secrets and Lies and Be Happy among others), I also hated (Vera Drake ...). Yet his latest movie has touched me, by staging a delicate and elegant, with a patient scenario, and especially by the characters beautifully painted and worn by their interpreters. Including by Lesley Manville and Mary, the most beautiful female character of the year with the grandmother Poetry.
Directed by Wes Anderson
Since The Royal Tenenbaums, I do not think I am right in saying that every film by Wes Anderson has found among my 20 favorite of the year in which he came. American filmmaker and has beautiful convert to animation with this Fantastic Mr Fox, his movie has not finished stampeding. His obsession with death and family, his zany and endearing characters, dialogues pleasurable while making salt by Wes Anderson is there.
Directed by Michel Gondry
Last year, two French films were highly placed in my favorites of the year. I thought for a moment that this year, none is in my top. The arnacoeur and Men and Gods , my favorite French drama, were almost sure to miss it. But last spring, I saw Michel Gondry follow in the footsteps of his family, deep in the French provinces to sign a film about his beloved aunt, a project that would escape and turn into a harrowing portrait of the relationship between the aunt and cousin, or the difficulty of love a mother has her son and vice versa. Gondry is really capable of anything, even a family documentary incredibly delicate and touching.
Directed by Rodrigo Cortez
I hesitated a lot about the movie which offer this twentieth place. The race of truth Mother? The exhilarating energy of Kick Ass ? The comeback of Kitano with Achilles and the Tortoise ? The freshness of pleasing Tamara Drewe ? Romance disenchanted In his eyes? The brutality fascinating Dog Pound? It eventually claustrophobic suspense Buried that I offer. A daring film that manages to sustain suspense for 1:35 by locking a man in a coffin with a phone and a lighter. Without ever leaving the camera's coffin. A tour de force fascinating and exciting.
0 comments:
Post a Comment